If you come across Charles Bridge, past the bridge towers of Lesser Town, one
encounters a few hundred meters directly to the St. Nicholas Church. She is
undoubtedly one of the most prominent landmarks of Prague and is considered
one of the most beautiful and magnificent churches of the Baroque era in
Europe. Even more impressive than its exterior, the interior of the church. It
is equipped with the architecture and ornamentation of the Baroque.
Particularly noteworthy is a 1500 square-foot ceiling paintings with images
from the life of Saint Nicholas of Myra. This painting is remarkable, but it
is one of the largest such paintings.
The St. Nicholas church was a Gothic building and the parish church of the
city before the Tyn Church was built. It was during the Counter Reformation of
the Czech lands in the 1600s taken over by Benedictine monks, and then in a
baroque style in the 1700s by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer rebuilt. The side
which is facing towards the old town hall, is especially impressive because
she had to match the luxuriance, which was put on display in this area.
On the inside are many statues, altars, pictures and side chapels of many
different holy ones. The statues of the four eastern church fathers before the
columns of the dome are particularly remarkable: those hl. Kyrill of
Alexandria, the Johannes Golmund, the Gregorius of Nazianz and the Basilius
that large ones. In the ornament took part outstanding artists of the baroque
time, which rare materials, gold platings and artificial marble used.