Church in the grounds of Nostell Priory.
The priory, dedicated to St Oswald, was founded in the 12th century.
The friars continued there until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII in the 16th century.
The property was acquired in 1654 by Rowland Winn, a London City alderman with properties in Lincolnshire.
The present building was constructed to the north of the old priory and was created over a period of 50 years from 1735 and involved two architects.
Sir Rowland Winn, the 4th Baronet, commissioned James Paine to design his house.
Although Paine went on to become one the foremost architects of the mid-18th century, at the time he began work on Nostell Priory he was only 19 years old. Paine and Sir Rowland spent eight years designing and building the central block and worked on plans for a larger Palladian house. However, they did not finish their work.
In 1765 Sir Rowland died and his son (also Sir Rowland) employed Robert Adam to complete the house in the neo-classical style. Adam designed extensions for either side of the house but only the north wing was added. As a result the house has an asymmetrical appearance.