The Well House, built by Bishop Beckynton (1443-1466) in
1451. It's topped with a stone Talbot dog, the Bishop's
favourite hunting dog.
The Well House was probably the Bishop's greatest gift to
the people of Wells, as it provided them with a supply of
He also created the Penniless Porch, where the poor would
sit and as the folk went through to the Cathedral, they
would give alms to those in the porch.
He saw built, a street of Alms Houses near St. Cuthbert's
Church, which even today, some tourist think is the
Cathedral, as they come from the coach park.